Rent out your Wardrobe with DW
Rent out your wardrobe with Designer Wardrobe
|You can rent out your own wardrobe or run your own rental business through Designer Wardrobe without any of the headaches of shipping, dry-cleaning or managing bookings.|
How does it work?
The items you own that you decide to rent out through Designer Wardrobe look like normal DW Rentals and can be rented out by any of our members through our stores, website or app.
The difference is that you (the owner of the item) receive 50% of the rental price each time it’s booked.
We take care of everything - all the shipping, dry-cleaning and booking management - leaving you free to sit back and wait for your monthly payments to come through!
Sounds great! How do I sign up?
To submit your items to rent out through DW, simply fill out the form here.
Our team will review your items and get back to you within 5 business days letting you know whether they’ve been accepted for a physical inspection, and how to get them to us. We will either arrange a pick-up of your items or send you a pre-paid courier bag to get them to us safely.
If the items then pass our physical inspection we’ll set a fair rental price. This is based on our knowledge of the rental market and what customers will pay to rent the item.
We then photograph, barcode and enter your item into our system so it can be booked, and you can relax and wait for your monthly payments.
We'll let you know once your item is live on DW, this will take between 5 - 10 business days after we receive the item, so don't worry if you haven't heard from us and the courier tracking is showing as delivered.
Can I market my items to try and get more bookings?
Yes! Our most successful consignors use their own platforms (Instagram, word of mouth, Facebook etc) to promote their own rentals through Designer Wardrobe. Remember we're taking care of all the niggly things like shipping, cleaning, customer enquiries etc - so for you, the more bookings the better!
Can I still wear my item?
Yes! If you want to wear your item while it's consigned to DW Rentals just get in touch with us on email@example.com and we will help you book it out, so long has it hasn't been previously booked for your dates. There will be a small charge of $20 to cover cleaning and administration, plus any relevant shipping charges.
What happens if my item is damaged or lost?
We’ve been running DW Rentals for over 2 years now and the number of items that have been damaged beyond repair, or lost is very (very!) few. However, there’s always a risk that this could happen.
We offer our DW Rip & Stain Protection on your rental items meaning that if a customer purchases this they’re covered up to $250 value for any damage. For you, this means that we will either cover the cost of repairing the item, or replacing it if necessary.
If the damage is greater than $250 or the customer didn’t purchase insurance, we will follow our usual collection procedures to recoup what’s needed to cover repair or replacement. Should this not be possible within 90 days we will cover this cost ourselves - this is how confident we are in how rarely it happens!
Should the item need replacement and this isn’t possible (e.g. the item is no longer on sale) we will calculate a fair current retail price and pay this directly to you.
What do I do if I want my item back?
While you of course always own your items; when you consign any item to us, we ask that you leave it with us for at least 2 months so we can photograph and market it sufficiently for it to begin to get bookings. We will of course review special circumstances, but this gives us a fair chance to make a great return for you. Any shorter period of time, unfortunately, makes it difficult to achieve this.
However, if after this point you want your item returned to you, that’s not a problem.
Just contact us to let us know which item(s) you want back and we’ll get these back to you within 10 working days, provided there aren’t any upcoming bookings. If there are upcoming bookings then we’ll need to fulfil these before we can return the item to you. Note that 80% of DW Rentals bookings aren’t made more than 10 days in advance, so it’s unlikely you’ll have to wait long.
It’s very important to note that as this is a rental service there will be wear and tear on your item(s). This is unavoidable and though we take the utmost care to gently clean items (using eco-friendly dry-cleaning) they are being worn so they will naturally age.
DW takes no responsibility for what we deem to be standard wear and tear on your item(s).
- We reserve the right to return any item at any time that we deem unsuitable for continuing to offer for rent. This could be due to the garment condition, low popularity or any other reason.
- The Consignor is responsible for managing their own accounting and taxation obligations. DW will provide any requested information outlining total income received over the period.
- DW takes no responsibility for what we identify as standard wear and tear on your item(s).
- Payments of your rental commission will be made in the first 10 business days of the month for the previous month's rentals. The payment will be made to your DW Wallet and you can then either spend this to buy or rent on Designer Wardrobe, or withdraw (free of charge) to any NZ bank account.
- As part of Designer Wardrobe's Marketing we work with ambassadors who promote us to their followers on social media. We offer them our rental garments free of charge to promote to their audiences and we usually see big increases in demand for these items afterwards. If you're lucky to have one on your consigned items chosen by an ambassador to wear then you won't be paid for this booking - consider it free marketing!